Friday, March 9, 2012

What can I do in Seattle? Also, any camping tips for Olympic National Park?

Hi there! I'm visiting a friend who lives in the Seattle metro area next week (late May). I mentioned to my friend that I'd like to visit the Olympics; she suggested the possibility of camping there. I definitely want to check out the rain forest, but I want a good glimpse of the mountains. I'd say at the most, we'd be there for a weekend. Where are the good camping spots? How about hiking ideas (advanced beginner/moderate)? Would it be better to go to the Cascades? What kind of weather can I expect while roaming through the mountains? What about Seattle weather in general?



Also, what about things to do in the city? I plan on exploring the Space Needle and Pike Place (and Viretta Park, if I can persuade my friend to go visit some park benches with graffiti!), and of course consuming coffee! I know there is a lot to see and do in Seattle, but are there any "must sees" while there?



Thanks so much!What can I do in Seattle? Also, any camping tips for Olympic National Park?
The Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Park are fantastic!



Here's some ideas for what to see and do:



1. Hurricane Ridge - the view is fantastic - a short hike from the visitor center will give you almost a 360 degree views including the Olympic mountains and across the Straight of Juan de Fuca to Vancouver Island

2. Dungeness Spit

3. Lake Crescent

4. Soak in the Sol Duc Hot springs

5. Neah Bay - Shi Shi Beach %26amp; Makah Museum

6. Lake Ozette

7. Lake Quinault

8. Hoh Rain Forest

9. Ruby Beach/Kalaloch



You probably won't have time to see it all in a weekend, but you can pick and choose some that seem the most interesting to you.



Some hikes: Lake Ozette loop, Hoh Rain Forest, Rialto Beach



Camping: Plan for it being rainy and cold especially in the rain forest and along the coast so bring a warm jacket, dress in layers and bring rain gear. There are numerous campgrounds in the national park and surrounding areas.



The best chance of keeping dry while camping is in the northeast corner of the peninsula - Sequim, Dungeness, Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent areas, but don't miss seeing the rest.



I would suggest doing a loop and camp in coastal wetter areas last so you can come home the next day to dry out. You could luck out and have beautiful weather, too.



Seattle: In addition to the Space Needle %26amp; Pike Place Market, you might want to walk down to the waterfront area from the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment