Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can a US Maritime School student go on a foreign flag cruise ship as a deck cadet?

I am planning on attending California Maritime Academy, so I am thinking about commercial cruises I want to do...I would like to do it on a cruise ship, as that is the area I'd like to work as a deck officer. So is the only ship I can do my commercial cruise on NCL America?? Or can I do it on a foreign flagged cruise ship? I know Celebrity and RCCL have deck apprentice programs, but those vessels are foreign flagged... Thanks!Can a US Maritime School student go on a foreign flag cruise ship as a deck cadet?
I would say yes.

First off all, as you say, there are not really cruise ships with US flags around.

Second, it does not make a difference.

You need sea-time and there counts what kind of ship it is (Tanker/Cargo/Cruise) and the size of it, where the voyages are going and which position you hold.Can a US Maritime School student go on a foreign flag cruise ship as a deck cadet?
I think so, yes. I'm currently a senior at SUNY Maritime in New York, and I know a few people who have done a cadet observer on Maersk, for engine license, not deck though, on a Danish flagged container ship.

I also know someone who already graduated who did a deck officer cadet observer on the Celebrity Constellation, which at the time was registered in the Bahamas, now it's registered in Malta.

No comments:

Post a Comment