Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Passports....?

I'm planning a cruise on Royal Caribbean's Navigator to Cozumel and Belize City for Jan. 2008. I called RCCL last week and they told me that a passport would not be required until June 2008 but I called Orbitz today to see what they would say, and the lady told me I WOULD need one for January. I've been on the U.S. Dept. of State website and this is what it says:



JANUARY 31, 2008

U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver鈥檚 license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.



I'm so confused!! I'm planning on applying for my passport in the next week or so because of the confusion, but in case it doesn't get here on time, I want to know that I will still be able to go on the cruise! When I apply should I go ahead and have it expedited?



Thanks for any info anyone can give!

RobinPassports....?
I just returned from an NCL Norwegian Pearl cruise to Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. As I went through customs to come home, the agent told me that effective January 1st, birth certificates would no longer be accepted. I already new that from my research prior to going on the cruise, but he made it very clear to repeat it! Have a wonderful time!
You need a passport to travel to Belize - US Citizens could travel only to the Caribbean islands, Canada and Mexico without a passport -- Belize is in Central America.



Since Belize is not covered by the new regulations -- visitors to Belize and Roatan and Panama have always needed a passport to travel there -- the section from the State Department regulations does not apply. If your cruise had an eastern Caribbean itinerary, you would not need a passport for ocean travel in January. The western Caribbean itinerary you chose stops at ports beyond the Caribbean.



Passport applications have been backed-up and delayed recently in excess of 3 months. Applications have slowed down and the government is catching up, but to be sure you receive your passport before you depart, go for the expedited service or use a private passport service.



Happy cruising.Passports....?
You just need to keep reading a little bit FURTHUR on that state dep't webpage to see that it says the requirement for passports for LAND and SEA travel will not start until at least SUMMER 2008. However, SOME cruise lines do require passengers to have passports even tho the law does not. So it is wise to check with the cruise line. That idiot at Orbitz is misinformed, as many people are, yet answers people like she knows what she is talking about. Over a month ago, the NEW info was put on the state dep't website. See site below and read the top half of the page thoroughly and carefull. Congress has passed a bill that BY JUne of 2009 the passport requirements MUST be put into effect. Could happen as soon as June 2008...but not before. Good idea to go ahead and get a passport before the next grand rush starts, which it will!
My boyfriend and I are also going on a cruise in January to the southern caribbean. We went to the post office 2 days ago and applied for our passports. If you have money, you can expedite it and pay the extra $60. We asked the postman that worked there how long it would take and he said that we should have it in 2 weeks! amazing! Hope this helps
Get one.

It will be mandatory soon enough I have traveled with passport for yeasrs on cruises and the passport makes it much easier for identification.

Border security ask less questions and tend to put you through faster. Also the cruise ship holds your passport and while you visit, they do random checks on board looking at the passports.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyoub鈥?/a>

This is the RCCL web page that describes it in detail.

If you are going in Jan of 2008 you will only need ID that he state, for now. In the summer of 2008 a passport will be mandatory.

Have fun. We are going again in March on RCCL.

We just love them.
better safe than sorry....apply for your passport now. i applied the Thursday before Labor Day weekend and was told it would take up to 3 months. it took pretty much only 3 weeks to the day. no need to pay for it to be expedited.

No comments:

Post a Comment