Friday, February 24, 2012

Seasickness question?

So I'm reading tons of reviews and stuff on people that go on the smaller cruise ships to the bahamas (majesty of the seas RCCL, and carnival sensation) and get seasick when there are rough seas, my question is, have these people taken any dramamine or anything, or are they getting seasick in spite of the fact that they have taken seasickness meds? What is your experience like?Seasickness question?
The seasickness meds always make me sleepy, even the ones that say they don't make you drowsy. My neice and nephew get motion sickness practically even when they walk, so they use the elastic wristbands. It has a plastic 'button' on it that is supposed to work like accupressure. They seldom get carsick any more if they wear the bands.



My mother in law was on a cruise and they were predicting rough seas. The boat offered free meds to everyone on board in order to head off the sickness.



On one of my cruises, I was laying in bed at night, praying that I wouldn't hurl and cursing the fact that I was not enjoying myself. I told myself that the movement was no different that sleeping in a car and I had never had problems with that. Guess what? All the sickness went away. I told my sons about my thoughts the next day (they had been just slightly queasy) and after they thought about it a while, they agreed and no one got sick at all after that.



On subsequent cruises, I have sometimes gotten a bit light headed, but I just keep repeating, 'this is no different than a car, this is no different than a car...'
I took a cruise around the mediterranean on a smallish ship and took dramamine the first couple of days. I was good after that. Just a little queasiness at dinner the first night.Seasickness question?
Man...I can't believe I came across this question. Just so happens I just wrapped a two-year study on seasickness on smaller cruise ships entitled, "Seasickness Amongst Passengers of Smaller Cruise Ships: Inevitable or Preventable". It's not due to be published for a few months but I'll share some of my findings.



I just can't believe I clicked on Yahoo! Answers and there's this question here....I mean, really...what are the chances. We even did a set of studies specifically on dramamine and other medications and their effectiveness combating the symptoms of seasickness and my research assistant did this really nice graph showing the effectiveness of the medication against the severity of the storm encountered.



Just wait until I tell her I saw this question! She was always worried that we were spending a lot of time doing research that no one was really that interested in, but I told her there were a lot of people out there concerned about stuff like this and...shoot, I'll have to get back to this later...my pot pie is done and I only have a few minutes to eat it.



Thanks for making my day though!
First off book your cabin midship as fore or aft can get bumpy; some people also prefer cabins on lower decks. Second go with Meclazine, better and cheaper than dramamine.
Newer carnival ships have stabilizers to keep the motion down. In 11 cruises I have never been sick and can barely ever even feel the ship move. The only issue was 30 foot waves hitting us off of Panama and still it was not bad. I have been on the Sensation and it now also has stabilizers. Good luck!
I've been on boats and ships both small and large . Sickness only occurs on very small boats when either the seas are rough or when the boat stops on the water . Its not likely you'll get sick because cruise ships aren't tiny and they never stop on the water . My wife and I never take any Dramamine . If you need it take it .

No comments:

Post a Comment